What sorts of health problems can Prednisone treat?
There are a number of different medications that can help to treat inflammation and Prednisone is a very effective preventative medication that can stop the release of substances in the body that can cause inflammation. As a result of this the medication is often used to treat a range of health problems. This medication belongs to a group of drugs known as corticosteroids. Some of the ailments that might be treated with the use of Prednisone include:
- Skin problems: This can include skin problems such as psoriasis, seborrhoea, mycosis fungoides and severe allergic reactions.
- Rheumatic disorders: This can include problems such as gout, osteoarthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis, bursitis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Eye problems: This can include keratitis, eye infections and optic neuritis.
- Allergies: This may include asthma, severe allergic reactions and atopic dermatitis.
- Hormone issues: This can include hypercalcemia of cancer, adrenal hyperplasia or adrenal deficiency.
- Respiratory problems: This includes problems such as tuberculosis or pneumonia
- Cancer symptoms: The medication can be used to relieve symptoms stemming from lymphoma or leukaemia.
- Blood conditions: This includes anemia caused by reaction of the immune system, and thrombocytopenia.
- Gastric problems: This may include Crohn's Disease symptoms or ulcerative colitis.
- Fluid retention: This includes retention caused by kidney problems or systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Multiple Sclerosis
As you can see there are many different conditions and types of conditions that are treated with Prednisone. There are also other conditions that this medication may be used to treat. The dosage that you will need to take will often be dependent on which of these conditions is being treated and also the severity of the condition.